Some books are just filled with songs for you to play, you can learn as many or as few as you like. His vast experience is reflected in the effortless manner in which he breaks down a complex subject. The Music Lesson is a fantastic take on how to integrate your love for music with your pursuit of meaning. At the beginning of the book, Wayne gives you a set of "formulas", and then proceeds to show you how to use those formulas for the rest of the book. The Hal Leonard Corporation is synonymous with top-notch instructional material, as is the “XYZ for Dummies” series. The “…for Dummies” series has a reputation for breaking down complex and convoluted topics in a simple and easy to follow fashion. There will also be some guitar books that you will need to come back to when you have acquired a little more skill. We’ve felt that it was perfectly paced for casual and novice players who want to pick up the guitar as a pastime. I really believe you should go buy this book, so I don't want to give too much away, but he covers great topics like how to avoid guitar injuries, setting goals for yourself, thoughts on technique, tone and gear, and general tips on how to practice. If you've never heard of the Berklee School of Music in Boston yet, it's a very popular music school that has had students like Steve Vai, Dream Theater, John Mayer, and many more. The content is painstakingly well structured and precise. Find out more…. When you are done with it, you can get the second part – The Spirit of Music: The Lesson Continues. It's something that you'll have to attack in small bites, but can really take your soloing to another level if you'll stick with it. Some call it the “Guitar Bible” and others call it a Coffee Table Encyclopedia. Setting out to become a guitar player can actually be a bit of a frustrating experience. It's so beneficial when trying to learn an instrument, and can lead to many opportunities down the road. Once you learn the academic side, Vai presents lots of experiential examples to help put into practice, what you just learned. Chords and scales in all keys are covered as you go along. While almost all of the books are focused on young beginners, anything from ages of 5 to late teens, there are barely any good guitar books for beginners who are adults. As a composer, guitarist, and professor of music theory, Ferrante has years of experience with simplifying and explaining musical concepts to beginners. I have had a few books on my shelf for almost 10 years that I still can’t play everything out of, but they have helped me to become the player I am now, and give me something to work towards to become the player I want to be in the future. Whether you play the guitar or not, whether you turn into a virtuoso or quit before Christmas, The Music Lesson has something to teach you that will translate into a better understanding of any art form you pursue. I'd be rich if I had a dollar for each time I mentioned one of my favorite players, Guthrie Govan on this site. Teach Yourself to Play Guitar has neatly organized everything a novice needs to learn in an easy to follow design. Similar to Creative Guitar (recommended below), Mick is all about having you put in the work to learn what he's laying out. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. All the licks are accompanied by audio tracks (365 of them!). Guitar Aerobics is aimed at guitarists looking to build chops and a repertoire of licks for metal, funk, blues, and rock. Once you're done warming up, you should open up Berklee's Modern Method for Guitar by William Leavitt. He has been writing bestselling guitar books since 2005. Of course, the choice was not that easy due to a simple reason – there are plenty of great guitar books out there. At times like this, you can feel burnt out and depleted. I am recommending this addition because it comes with video instruction and play-alongs for every song in the book, but there is also a version that has volumes 1-3 for less money, you just don’t get the video or audio examples, and the book is HUGE, I would recommend taking it to your local print shop and having it spiral bound. What’s more, the tracks come with additional functionality, so you can slow them down or loop certain parts. Hodge has been a writer/editor for Guitar Noise Magazine since 1999. Frankly, if this won’t turn you into a virtuoso, then it is on you. Unlike today, books were the only resource to learn the guitar back in the 90s. This is called grading, books are graded. The book is laid out in such a way that each week builds on the week that came before. Learning how to read music is kind of tough. Look – every guitar player out there had similar issues. Wooten isn’t just a legendary bass player. Straightforward instructions for students with no music background. Aside from music theory and practical stuff, the book also contains a lot of info about the world of guitars. Heck, it may even inspire you to write your own book. Tab isn't a bad thing, but being able to play a sheet of music that's put in front of you, and knowing all the theory that goes behind it will help make you a better player. When you talk about guitar instructors, Damon Ferrante is no lightweight. Youtube videos (my own included as much as I try to make longer series) tend to jump from one topic to the next following the trends.