It turns out that this particular blackberry scones recipe bakes at 375 degrees (same as the On-Cor 6 Breaded Chicken Parmagiana Patties with Tomato Sauce!). A food processor lets you first combine the dry ingredients by pulsing, then cut in the vegan butter, and then blend with the So Delicious® Dairy Free coconutmilk yogurt alternative. Using your hands (like some recipes suggest) can warm up the butter and lead to tough scones! Making fruit-flavored scones was one of the first things I tackled when I started SGTO with my Vegan Lemon Scones. 7. Using a box grater, coarsely grate the frozen vegan butter into a medium bowl. ½ cup vegan butter spread, cut into cubes, 1 container So Delicious® Dairy Free coconutmilk yogurt alternative (plain) (5.3 oz), 1 Tbsp So Delicious® unsweetened Organic coconutmilk. 11. 2. Her recipes and food photography have been highlighted by BuzzFeed, Reader’s Digest, and She Knows. A good 30 minutes should do it if they’re on a wire cooling rack. Learn more about Richard Makin (School Night Vegan). By freezing the butter, we stop it from melting too quickly and keep the gluten from activating. It’s also a good idea because you want to keep your blackberries intact! #sponsored. Add the butter and pulse about 20 times until the butter is incorporated. This data is provided by Nutritionix and is an estimate only. When you find me dunking my scone into my cup of coffee, you find me in my happy place. Of course, if you don’t need a gluten free recipe, all purpose flour is fine. You can find out more about which cookies we are using or switch them off in settings. Final steps of adding the fresh blackberries and shaping the dough are done by hand. I also find that there are plenty of vegan butter substitutes available that make it easy to create dairy free recipes. This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged. They’re deliciously light with a super delicate crumb and (most importantly) they’re crazy easy to make! Fresh fruit, dried fruit, nuts, or chocolate might be baked within the scone dough. Very gently fold in the berries. Vegan blackberry scones are a dairy free and gluten free version of this traditional English treat. Soft dairy free scones filled with pockets of sticky, jammy blackberries and sweet vegan white chocolate chips. The days are … After testing this recipe numerous times, I learned that the success of my scones depended on my method of preparing the scone dough. Traditional scones have dairy, eggs and flour. If you overmix the berries, they’ll burst and bleed into the scones meaning no beautiful golden colour on top. Straight after baking, scones will be very soft inside, so be sure to allow for some cooling time before serving. Bowl to … Blend until completely smooth. The trick to my vegan scone recipe is the addition of So Delicious® Dairy Free coconutmilk yogurt alternative. The dough is soft, slightly sticky and not the easiest to manage without getting bits clinging to your fingers. Making homemade berry scones without eggs or butter is easier than you think and this recipe has all the best flavors of summer. Use a food processor to combine the gluten free flour blend, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for 30 minutes. Use a knife or bench scraper to slice the circle into 8 even segments and separate them from each other slightly to allow room to rise. Making homemade scones takes me right back to my first trip to England twenty years ago. Scones are lovely for breakfast. 5. Let cool completely then make the glaze (if using). Bake. Give these blackberry scones a try instead of the usual blackberry crumble – you won’t be disappointed. This post is sponsored by So Delicious®. These lemon blueberry scones are a perfect representation of those little bites of heaven I was lucky enough to partake in. Sprinkle with the extra granulated sugar. She is the writer, recipe creator, and photographer for the site. This makes it much easier to incorporate the butter into the flour mixture without “overworking” the flour. The English version would more likely be served plain but sometimes it is ok to break with tradition! Empty the scone dough onto a piece of parchment or a large mixing bowl. Freeze the dough before baking the scones, Keep an eye on the scones towards the end of the baking time. Also, be sure to use a pastry cutter or a pair of sharp knives to cut the butter into the flour. Another GRATE tip for making scones is to grate your butter, rather than just cutting it into cubes. Clotted cream and jam are served along side these familiar treats. We are using plant-based cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. 1. Posted on March 3, 2020  Updated: July 7, 2020 Categories Gluten-free, Quick Bread, Vegan, Home » Gluten-free » Vegan Blackberry Scones. I share my love of baking with you in traditional recipes, gluten free sweet treats, canning recipes, and adorable cookies. You can make scones by hand but more consistent results will come with the use of a food processor. That is fine—you’ll have a bit of color throughout the scone dough. The tartness of the lemon with the burst of blackberry juice perfectly complement each other and go amazing well with a steaming hot cup of earl gray. Scones are a type of quick bread. Of course the drizzle is optional but I think it adds a touch of sweetness that I love in a baked good. The British have perfected the art of high tea which includes finger sandwiches, baked goods, sweets and of course, endless cups of tea! Place in the oven to bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown on top. Make these quick blackberry scones for breakfast, brunch, dessert, with your coffee or tea, or a quick snack to take on the go. Try this recipe for vegan blackberry cobbler or these vegan blackberry muffins! They just go together. Holly Baker started the food blog, A Baker’s House, in 2011. If the scones have expanded and are now touching, wait until they’re cool and slice the scones apart. This means that every time you visit this website you will need to enable or disable cookies again. Drizzle on top of the scones. © 2020 Wicked Healthy – All Rights Reserved –, Vegan Buckwheat Pancakes with Almond Butter. Let’s see how we can bring some of that British charm home to our own kitchens no matter if you need a recipe that is traditional, gluten free, or vegan. Place the soy milk, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and the thickened psyllium husk/flax seed “egg” mixture into the cup of a high-speed blender. Preheat the oven to 200c/390f (fan). Have you tried overnight oats yet? Drizzle with a dairy free icing to create the perfect sweet bite! Add in the cold butter and process until it looks like small crumbs. I could get used to still-warm fresh blackberry scones … 10. Scones… Vegan blackberry scones are a dairy free and gluten free version of this traditional English treat. Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings. They are really tasty served warm, split and spread with butter. All opinions, comments and content shared on A Baker’s House are my own and do not necessarily represent those of So Delicious® or Danone North America. Using a pastry cutter or two sharp knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until you have a coarse, sand texture – almost like a fine crumble topping. It’ll help them to brown and form a beautifully crumbly exterior. The bottoms brown more quickly than the tops. Using a spatula or wooden spoon, gently fold the ingredients together until you have a very rough shaggy dough – do not overmix! When you make scones with warm or even room temperature vegan butter, the moisture content activates the gluten in the flour and makes everything toughen up. These blackberry scones only require a couple of small handfuls of blackberries so ideal for using up the small yield of blackberries from an impromptu pick your own on the way to the park. Make sure your gluten free flour blend contains xanthan gum. Then these Vegan Blackberry White Chocolate Scones are just what you need! In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, lemon zest, baking powder, and flaky sea salt. If you do want to mirror the British tradition of serving scones with clotted cream (a thickened type of cream) and jam, just top the scones with a dollop of the coconutmilk yogurt alternative for a great dairy free option! Cut the circle of dough into 8 triangles (like pizza slices). In a small bowl whisk together the ground psyllium husks/ground flax seeds with the water. Anything you can cook, I can cook vegan Shape the dough into a round disc. Combine the dry ingredients to a food processor. A hot cup of fresh pour-over coffee, paired with a warm, tender scone. This dairy free yogurt alternative provides the stability in the scone recipe that might traditionally come from using eggs. When you make scones with warm or even room temperature vegan butter, the moisture content activates the gluten in the flour and makes everything toughen up.