Serve hot with onion. Also, it could be a few thin slices of strawberry with a bit of cream or a handful of bilberries, or blueberries. Pierogi are dumplings with various fillings such as potatoes and cheddar / potatoes, ricotta and onion (this is the one I tried)/ potato and bacon / sauerkraut / mushrooms / spinach and cheese / you can also try a sweet variation with a sweet farmers cheese filing and sprinkle sugar. Recipes: Pierogi dough - authentic Polish recipe Pierogi with meat filling recipe Pierogi/uszka with mushroom & cabbage Uszka for the Christmas Eve clear borscht Pierogi with bil-, blue- or strawberries recipe Pierogi with white mushrooms and eggs recipe. It is a universal dish – you can put inside as many things as you like. I recommend that you take a page out of her book because it’s just too much work to go through all that process just to make a few for one dinner. Roll the dough and cut 3 inch rounds. First, make the crispy shallots. You can change the taste of the pierogi dough by using some milk instead of water, or adding the yolk of an egg. Usually original Polish pierogi dough is made without eggs (I do it this way also). When we visited the motherland for the first time, I was surprised to see sweet pierogies a permanent fixture at the dinner table. but he does not knoe if they are polish or ukrainian. She put handfuls of flour on my old enamel kitchen table, made a little well in the flour, put the eggs in there, and with her fingers, worked the eggs into the dough. Place about 1 teaspoon of stuffing on each round, fold over and press with a fork. Add a pinch of salt and tablespoon of olive oil. Thank you in advance . First. The Eastern European dumpling is having a bit of a moment. Admittedly, making pierogi step by step is a bit time-consuming. A stage of boiling and frying pierogi requires no special wisdom of course, neither is laborious. This utensil is meant to speed up your pierogi sealing – quite a good idea, indeed. Otherwise, they will tear during cooking. We heat up home-made frozen pierogi by ordinary cooking in water (heating in microwave oven is also possible, but I don't recommend it). Press the edges down firmly with a fork, pressing out any trapped air. Set the filling aside, Set a pot of water to boil and work on your dough. Eastern European Cuisine. If pierogi have about 6 cm of diameter, the width of sealed edge should be 1 cm or less. I have made every effort to publish pierogi recipes (and all other Polish food recipes), that are detailed enough. Repeat the process until all of the dough has been used up. And nothing says the males in the family can’t help out too. And yet, these are one of the easiest things to make at home! his mother taught him. You don’t have to roll all the dough at once because it may dry out. Good pierogi dough should always have a delicate taste. They do tend to be a little time-consuming as you typically roll out enough dough at one time to make anywhere from 50 to 150 perogies at once. There you have it, how to make perogies at home. Hello all; Im 60 and as far back as I can remember the perogie was a main stay in the winter months . But let’s face it; A perogy ain’t a perogy without the filling. They are often made for certain holidays like sauerkraut and mushrooms ones for Christmas. Enjoy the taste! Am I missing it somewhere? Coming soon to Los Angeles, San Francisco, Miami…, Authentic Italian Cooking since the 1920s, © Edizioni Condé Nast s.p.a. - Piazza Cadorna 5 - 20123 Milano cap.soc. If you tried that recipe and posted a pic or comment use hashtag #EasternEuropeanRecipes I’d love to see how it turned out! Originally from Canada, Kate has been living in Christchurch since 2013 and educating Kiwis on one of Canada’s most popular foods, the humble pierogi (which takes various spellings and forms!).