Feel free to use 1/4 scotch bonnet pepper instead of the bird pepper. Brown the chicken pieces in two batches – 2 to 3 minutes per side. leave me a comment below – it’s appreciated. Your email address will not be published. In this step we’re cooking the curry so you don’t get that ‘raw’ curry taste when the dish is done cooking. When finished, put the hassars onto a dish and pour the curry … Keyword Beer Braised Recipe, Braised Chicken, Caribbean Cuisine, Chicken Recipe, Coconut Milk Chicken, Curry Cuisine, Guyanese Cuisine, Guyanese Food, Mouthwatering Chicken, Spinach Recipe, Whole Chicken Prep Time 20 minutes. With your heat still on low, add the curry powder, stir well and let that toast for about 3-5 minutes. Add dried red chilies, curry leaves and stir for a minute. (delicious easy-to-follow recipes directly to your inbox). This curry chicken with eggplant will not be the most attractive dish, but I assure the curry base with the addition of the coconut milk will ensure you have a very flavorsome dish. Turn the heat down to low and let that cook for about 3 minutes so they soften up and start a lovely flavor base. We over eat every time this dish is made. A delicious and succulent chicken curry. Now heat the oil on a medium flame (in a deep sauce pan) and add the diced onion and garlic to the pot. Add the onions and saute 2 to 3 minutes. Now add the seasoned chicken to the pot, turn up the heat so you can sear the chicken and get the pieces covered in the curry base we made. Enjoy! Turn the heat back down to med/low, place the lid on and let it cook for about 10 minutes. 1 large eggplant The divine aroma that fills the kitchen when I cook or bake is simply what keeps me going! It is now a hit on our dinner table. 2 tablespoon veg oil 4 medium potatoes Add the scallions, cilantro, thyme, garlic and sliced ginger. Note: I use a 6 quart deep saute pan and cooked the chicken in 2 batches. I never mixed coconut milk with beer. 1 1/2 tbsp minced garlic* 5 thyme sprigs* 1/3 cup water. Saute 1 to 2 minutes. hey brother I would like to say I am so glad to have found someone who knows about Caribbean cooking and I can learn from. Follow Us on Social Media: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Linkedin. Add the spinach. Serve on a bed of rice or with your favorite side dish. Cover pan and cook 20 to 25 minutes. Even as child my mom recalls how much I loved eggplant (baigan), stewed, curry and my all-time favorite , roasted over an open flame and made into baigan choka. 2. If the sauce (gravy) is thin all you have to do is press a few pieces of the potato with the back of your spoon to crush them and it will help thicken up things. 3. Add the tomatoes and remaining salt. Heat the olive oil over medium/high heat. Author Yasmin Jackson. https://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/curry-coconut-milk-chicken-thighs 2 tablespoon curry powder Before you go, don’t forget to check out the latest cooking videos, connect with me on twitter and join our community on facebook. Hi Maya! Add thin coconut milk and mix well. I found a Caribbean green seasoning for a sub to making it from scratch. Set aside. Mix well and serve with appam, idiyappam, porotta, chapathi etc. Want more wholesome and healthy recipes? Reduce heat to medium. Add the birds eye peppers at this time as well. I love this recipe and it’s very tasty.Thanks so much for sharing. Add the chicken parts in a single layer and add the optional hot pepper if using. Click on "Watch later" to put videos here, Kashmiri chilli powder or regular chilli powder – 1 tbsp and coriander powder – 1 – 1.5 tbsp, dry roasted in a small pan over very low heat for 1 minute or until their raw smell disappears). The coconut milk is cooked with the chicken to the point where the coconut milk splits and the oil separates from the milk). Your email address will not be published. In a small pan, heat 1 tbsp coconut oil over medium-high heat. The chicken will release it’s own natural juices, so turn the heat up and burn off that liquid. It’s now time to add the cubed eggplant (you can peel it or leave it with the skin on), the cubed potatoes and  top it with the coconut milk and water. Allow chicken to sit in the refridgerator for at least 4 hours. Thalassery Chemmeen Biriyani/ Thalassery Style Prawn Biriyani. Add 1 cup water or coconut milk and stir. We’re also awakening the spices which make up the curry powder. Add potato cubes and mix well. Tranfer chicken and sauce to a serving platter. Cover the pan and cook an additional 20 to 25 minutes. Do you have any other suggestions for a side dish? Cook for 10 more minutes until chicken and potato pieces are completely cooked through. Put the hassars into the curry sauce. You can have the lid slightly ajar as it cooks and do remember to stir every 5-8 minutes. Switch off. Thanks for this recipe. It’s delicious and my family really loves this version of curry. Add garlic and onions, and stir fry for 1 minute. Curry Chicken With Eggplant Simmered In Coconut Milk. This version can be served on its own – perhaps like a take on soup – or serve it with any variation of rice or roti. Before you go, don’t forget to check out the latest cooking videos , connect with me on twitter and join our community on facebook . In a small prep bowl, combine the spices, except the salt. This curry chicken with eggplant will not be the most attractive dish, but I assure the curry base with the addition of the coconut milk will ensure you have a very flavorsome dish. Pour this over the curry. While it’s simmering, in a separate skillet add 2 tbsp of butter or coconut oil. Bring to a boil. 1 onion Add in the cubed chickens and cook for 5 … Use full-fat coconut milk for the best flavor and thickness. Add curry powder blended with 3 – 4 tablespoons of water. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Required fields are marked *. Its Chris... enter your name & email address below and I'll send you SIZZLE. Cook Time 1 hour 30 minutes. I decided to make this for lunch today for the first time.