Wow… your harvesting already we are still waiting for germination. For broccoli, planting radish varieties such as Chinese daikon and Snow Belle at 6 to 12 inch intervals among plants deters the flea beetle. Another effective method is to use trap cropping. If this does not work, put aluminum foil down on the ground around the crop, shiny side up. I like the broccoli leaves better than the florets, so we eat those in salads and green smoothies. How do you control the insects from devouring your broccoli harvest? Jerry ran to Home Depot to look for some BT to sprinkle on our broccoli and cabbage to try to help control the bugs. Pest control is a part of vegetable maintenance, and it can be done without resorting to chemicals. The first is to use floating row covers. As for worms…I keep my brassicas covered w/row cover or PVC/windowscreen cages DH made specifically to keep cabbage moths away from them. I know some of you would have no trouble eating a little worm if you didn’t know it was there. To prevent an infestation, try using living mulch. We also recommend peeling the stalk of the broccoli… Planting Giant Mustard is another option. Lastly, encourage ladybugs to frequent your broccoli crop, for they feed on the pest. INSPECTION: When checking broccoli, a well-lit area should be chosen. If you catch them early, hose off your plants thoroughly. Studies have shown that this makes the crop less discernable because it is not set against the backdrop of dark soil. Gross. You can’t be too careful when it comes to buggers! These eggs become cabbage worms which can eat their way through a crop. Aphids can also spread plant-killing viruses. It was delicious. suggestions. It should be noted that cleaning infested broccoli is not feasible. It should be noted that cleaning infested broccoli is not feasible. Yup, soaking in salt water is the very best way. Link up below and share what’s new on your homestead! Mix it proportionately with water and spray it over the plants. Jerry ran to Home Depot to look for some BT to sprinkle on our broccoli and cabbage to try to help control the bugs. Fill a sink with cold water and soak the broccoli for 5-10 minutes. I shared with you last week that we’ve had some trouble with an infestation. But also sorta freaked out!! After soaking, drain in a colander and rinse with cold water. We are enrolled in the Amazon Associates program, so we may earn a commission if you purchase something from Amazon after clicking one of our links. I don’t know why I was so surprised to find it so tasty, but I was. Questions of a Do It Yourself nature should be Another common pest is the cabbage worm. Soak the bugs out after harvest. Fluctuating hot and cold periods in the weather or intermittent rain deters them, but if there is a steady warm period, they may be present. Without resorting to chemical deterrents, pests can be dissuaded from making your broccoli crop their home. I b... What Organic Fertilizer Is Best For Asparagus Gardening? Glad to help though Definitely soak it this year, lol!! It wasn’t that I didn’t expect to find any worms on my broccoli. You are probably familiar with the innocent looking white butterfly that is a common sight in the summer time. Are there any tricks? Enjoying life, and everything that has to do with self sufficient living. This aids in discerning an insect from the floret pieces. 1995-2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Any bugs in the broccoli will float to the top. I laughed as he responded, “Yeah, I totally would have eaten that.“. I have a couple desks in my house with rolling chairs in front of them.