Where have these decadent oven French toast sticks been all my life? wikiHow is where trusted research and expert knowledge come together. For sweeter French toast, add a teaspoon or two of sugar to the egg batter. To make French toast sticks, start by whisking together eggs, milk, and vanilla extract in a bowl. Try it with buttermilk. https://www.thespruceeats.com/simple-french-toast-sticks-recipe-3056826 When the butter is hot, add a batch of soaked bread strips to the skillet and cook until golden brown, turning to brown both sides. Cooking is my passion so please follow along and share what I create! Notify me of follow-up comments by email. They are easy to make, and even more fun to eat—you can eat them with your fingers! To reheat in the microwave: microwave on high for 1 minute. Try it with almond or coconut milk instead. Everything is better with a side of bacon, including these easy French toast sticks. , melted, plus more for serving if desired. Write the date on the bag so you will use them before they expire. I made it for my mom and dad as a surprise and they loved it.". Make the French toast sticks on the weekend, freeze them in small food storage bags, and then heat them in the microwave oven, toaster, or skillet when you need them. These baked French toast sticks are delicious dusted with powdered sugar and drizzled with pure maple syrup. The darkest maple syrup will give you the most flavor. Dip the bread strips in the bowl to soak briefly. I prefer using whole milk in this recipe, but you can use any milk you have on hand. Another classic combination is cut bananas, sliced strawberries, and French toast cubes. Get it free when you sign up for our newsletter. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 18 by 13-inch baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut each slice of bread into even three strips (you can layer a few slices to cut several at a time). French toast sticks are a great make-ahead breakfast that you could have on hand in the freezer rather than buying the store-bought kind. Texas toast is difficult to find so I use brioche sliced bread from Aldi. Return to oven and continue to bake until cooked through, about 13 - 18 minutes longer. If you're in a big hurry and don't mind soggy French toast sticks, you can cook them in the microwave for less than a minute. Remove from oven, flip french toast sticks to opposite side and brush tops lightly with remaining 1 Tbsp melted butter and sprinkle evenly with remaining cinnamon sugar mixture. Though my kids totally enjoyed these, I know I enjoyed them equally as much if not more. This will be my 4th time making this recipe. It turned out great. For an easy meal, and to keep the no silverware thing going, you can serve them alongside baked egg muffins (another thing I need to share) and some salty crispy bacon to round things out! Breakfast just got a whole lot more exciting with this baked French toast recipe! A denser bread, like. Read our disclosure policy. References. I’ve ordered French toast sticks them at restaurants before, so who knows why I’ve waited so long to try making them at home. Yes, you may use whichever type you prefer. But this time my sticks stuck to the paper. Let cool for a few minutes. And if you wanted to make them healthier you could use hearty whole grain bread and cut back on the sugar and syrup. To make French toast sticks, start by whisking together eggs, milk, and vanilla extract in a bowl. Switch out the cinnamon for pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice. I bet it will be even yummier. Of course, these Texas toast French toast sticks aren’t just for kids, everyone of all ages will love these. A weighty bread will make it sink, however. If you are vegan, use 1 cup (240 milliliters) of unsweetened almond milk and 1 tablespoon of flax meal (ground flax seeds). If you are vegan, use ½ cup (120 milliliters) of unsweetened almond milk and ½ tablespoon of flax meal (ground flax seeds). Next, cut slices of bread into thirds and dip the bread sticks into the egg mixture, then into the cinnamon-sugar mixture. In a medium mixing bowl, vigorously whisk together milk, eggs, vanilla and salt until very well blended. Southern-cuisine expert and cookbook author Diana Rattray has created more than 5,000 recipes articles in her 20 years as a food writer. Sprinkle tops evenly with half of the cinnamon sugar mixture. Try this baked French toast recipe and you’ll be hooked! We used Natures Own honey wheat bread. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. If you can't have dairy, try coconut milk or almond milk. Bake in preheated oven for 13 minutes. Flip french toast sticks brush with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Better yet, they are easy to freeze for future breakfasts. Heat frozen French toast in the microwave for 30 to 45 seconds or pop it in the toaster. We didn’t have any Texas toast or thick white bread. To reheat in the oven: Bake for 10 minutes at 350°F (177°C). They’re hand hold-able, easy to serve, easy to eat, perfectly delicious oven baked french toast sticks of goodness and they’re definitely a great start to any weekend morning! If you don't like to get dirty, you can spear the bread stick onto a fork instead. Try it with whole wheat bread for a healthier option. You can also use golden cane syrup or, Make extra and freeze it for another morning. Please help us continue to provide you with our trusted how-to guides and videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker. Here you’ll find a collection of delicious recipes that your family will love, all tested and approved by me, Jaclyn, creator of this food blog. % of people told us that this article helped them. You may need to visit your local bakery and see what soft, tall loaves of bread they have available. In a separate bowl whisk milk, eggs and vanilla. Next, cut slices of bread into thirds and dip the bread sticks into the egg mixture, then into the cinnamon-sugar mixture. If you find you have trouble with burning butter, try vegetable oil or a combination of half butter and half vegetable oil. "It wasn't that hard at all. This recipe for French toast sticks is a super easy preparation, and they're an excellent way to get kids to eat their breakfast. French toast sticks will last 1 to 2 months in the freezer. Better yet, French toast sticks don't need to be … There are 19 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page. Learn how your comment data is processed. If you are allergic to dairy, try coconut milk or almond milk instead. My entire family liked this recipe. If you can’t find Texas toast, I recommend using another thick white bread that can be cut into sticks. Brush lightly with a little more melted butter if desired and serve warm with maple syrup for dipping. Flip, then bake for another 5 minutes.