This classic steak pie uses stout to make a rich gravy and ready-rolled pastry for ease. I used half teaspoon fresh thyme leaves. Semi-Related. Remove the lid and simmer for another hour, until the meat is tender and the juices have thickened. She pours this love of all things sweet (and sometimes savory) into Bakeable, Taste of Home's baking club. We may earn commission from the links on this page. Looking at this recipe, you’ll notice that it only calls for butter. Increase your kitchen confidence with our tempting recipes, instructional photos, and helpful tips and facts. Once the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, make a well in the middle and start by adding the beaten egg and 1 tablespoon of cold water. The meat was so tender and juicy. 5. Next time, choose an ale with a sweeter flavor. Sometimes, I just make the stew and serve with mashed spuds. 3. You can freeze these before or after baking, and simply pop in the oven when you need them. To skillet, heat remaining tablespoon oil. The pork adds a little fat so this will help to keep the pie succulent and moist. Brush the lids with the remaining egg wash. ***if you made any decorations from your pastry offcuts, add those now and brush over with egg wash. Sweet Potato Coconut Pie with Marshmallow Meringue, We Tried Joanna Gaines’ Sweet Twist on Apple Pie, Do Not Sell My Personal Information – CA Residents. 11. Looking for a go-to steak pie recipe that'll please the entire family? I got the recipe from my husband's mother. Bring to a boil again, then turn the heat down to low and simmer for 1 ½ hours with the lid on. Your email address will not be published. 15. Once your dough is ready you can place in the fridge for 20 minutes to rest. Add steak and peas to pan. Add the celery and carrots and cook until the celery begins to soften. 14. I made a steak and ale pie from scratch. Editor’s tip: If you’re making a double-crust pie, don’t forget to add some vents to allow steam to escape. amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "lovefoodiesco-20"; The stew is put in a pie dish and baked with either shortcrust or puff pastry on top. Then add a tablespoon of filling into each mold. Although a large quantity of ale is added to the stew, the long cooking time burns off almost all of the alcohol. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. If the stew is too hot, the heat will melt the butter in the puff pastry and ruin the lamination. Fresh herbs of your choice. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED ©2020 Allrecipes.com, Inc. Your whole family will love eating this amazing meal for dinner! Season with salt and pepper. If you’re making a single-crust pie, all that’s left is to finish the edges. Brush the edges with egg wash then gently press the pastry lid on to each pie. Really, you can make the flavorings however you choose, so don't be afraid to swap some of the flavors around a bit to suit! Before doing anything else with your pastry, let it chill in the fridge for at least an hour to help firm up the butter. freezer friendly too! Beef, pork, and potato are all nicely spiced and baked into a pie. She is French so I believe this is a French Meat Pie. Keywords: pub style, mushroom, british meat pie recipes, Tag @savortheflavourblog on Instagram and hashtag it #savortheflavour. Shortcrust or puff are the two most popular choices of pastry. If you'd like to get a new cupcake pan, we can recommend this one. British comfort food is too good to miss out on. Additional flavor is added from a bit of HP sauce, brown sugar, cocoa powder, salt, pepper, fresh thyme, and a bay leaf. Want to see our latest recipes? ★☆. Using a metal round-bladed knife, stir the mixture and combine well before adding a further tablespoon of water. Preheat oven to 350°. this will allow the pastry to puff up and not be soggy whilst the filling is cooking. Editor’s tip: Making a pie crust shield is a handy trick that can help prevent a burnt crust. For this recipe, I decided to make mini meat pies, using a cupcake pan because I was hosting a party and wanted to make something which would be freezer friendly and that I could make ahead too. Pleeeeeeeeease! Learn how your comment data is processed. We made this crust & it was really good.. We did weigh out the flour as a cup of flour was really only about 5 ounces.. Is beef mixture half beef, pork, AND ground meat?? “Using a fork, toss (don’t press) cold butter and water into the flour just until everything is mixed and thoroughly coated.”. Be patient! Remove from heat. NELPLA Two Side Round Cookie Cutters,Biscuit Cutters and Fondant Cake Cutters, Set of 6 PCS, Assorted Color, Wilton 2105-6789 Perfect Results Premium Non-Stick Bakeware Muffin and Cupcake Pan, 12-Cup, STANDARD, Silver. 12. Homemade Mini Meat Pies have a delicious flaky pie crust, are simple and quick to make and great for lunch boxes, parties, picnics and snacks. Add onion, carrots, and celery and cook until soft, 5 minutes. Cookies help us deliver our Services. Simmer the filling on medium-low heat for at least 2 hours to make the meat tender. Take a pair of scissors and snip in the center of each pie to create a little air vent. Steak and ale pie is a British dish made from a hearty beef and vegetable stew flavored with ale. Roll the Pie Crust. “Always start with cold butter,” says Taste of Home Executive Culinary Director Sarah Farmer. Hope that helps! Your email address will not be published. You can refrigerate the stew overnight and assemble the pie the next day. It tastes much like a traditional beef stew, but with unique richness and umami flavor from the ale. I think mushrooms give a bit more flavour but my partner doesn't like mushrooms and it tastes lovely without!!! The first step in making pie crust is to quickly whisk together the salt and flour in a large mixing bowl. I would also double the pastry so you have plenty to line the inside and top of your pie dish. If you're using dried herbs, be careful not to add too much, as they are more potent than fresh herbs and can make the stew taste bitter. Then place your other thumb and index finger on the outside edge and pinch the crust around your finger to form a V. Continue around the entire edge of the pie crust. Pro Tips OPTIONAL: Add a handful of chopped fresh or frozen cranberries.