or 10-in. They keep warm rather long wrapped in a towel. Add additional 1/4 cup ice water a tablespoon at a time if needed until a smooth dough is formed. It makes the crust and the rest of the meat pie taste great. Here is the recipe that I grew up with and is the best pastie you will ever eat. Add 1 ¼ cup of the ice water and mix. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until light brown. Healthful recipes. Place the pasties on a lined sheet pan directly from the freezer and bake from the frozen state for about 40 – 45 minutes or until golden brown. This recipe originated in Cornwall England, and was adapted by my Great Grandmother Johns. To use this homemade pie crust for a cold pie, divide the chilled dough in half and set it on a flour work surface. https://www.food.com/recipe/pasty-pastry-for-cornish-miners-pasties-230316 Looking for pastie recipes? https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/michigan-pasty-meat-hand-pie Some housewives would stuff one end with a savory filling, and the other with a sweet one. Simplified selection. Chill until firm, at least 30 minutes. For a single crust, roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface to fit a 9-in. Individual pasties--originally made to pack in lunch boxes. Here is the recipe that I grew up with and is the best pastie you will ever eat. So if you're looking to make and bake great savory hand pies use this dough A traditional Upper Peninsula of Michigan treat! 1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 2-tablespoon pieces, at slightly cooler than room temperature To cook, preheat oven to 375°F. Even if your pasties are not perfect, this is a fun recipe to make, and cooking Cornish pasty in the oven is straightforward. I have changed it slightly to make it easier to make and enjoy. Place the pasties on a lined sheet pan directly from the freezer and bake from the frozen state for about 40 – 45 minutes or until golden brown. Substitute vegetable shortening for the lard for a vegetarian version. This recipe uses a shortcrust pastry made by hand or in a food processor, but if you are pressed for time, a ready-made pastry will do fine. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. pie plate. These freeze really well for a quick lunch. Cooking tip: Pasties freeze nicely. Rub pasties with a little milk for a golden color. Family members and friends of the family made these cabbage pockets, sometimes called Krautbrot or Bierocks. Place 1/2 cup filling in the center of the dough circle and lightly brush the edge of the bottom half of the dough with egg wash. Place shaped pasties on parchment on a sheet pan while assembling the balance of dough and filling. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. To cook, preheat oven to 375°F. Trim pastry 1/2 in. Transfer pastry to pie plate. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pastry-dough-356091 Very easy to make. The Cornish Pasties made with the lard are the best. Docking a Crust vs. Pie … Continue with the instructions of the cold pie recipe you are using. I make these pasties about once a month for my family and extended family. I combined 5 pasty recipes to create an easy vegetable pasty with the filling and flavor I desired. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin into a 13-inch round, then fit into flan ring and trim excess dough. You will need 12 9-inch pie pans for this recipe (if you don't have that many, you can buy aluminum pans or make the pasties … For a true coal miner meal experience, be sure to roughly chop the potatoes. My Grandma would serve with relishes and Coca Cola. I grew up in a town that was filled with Wolgadeutsche, or Germans from Russia. Coal miners in the Midwest would take these for their lunch. I came up with this recipe because I wanted a vegetarian version. This is a perfect food for lunches, as it is self contained and freezes well. 1 pound all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting. This Pasty Dough Recipe does it all. Pie crust pastries filled with potato, onion, rutabaga and pork, then buttered and baked to a golden finish. Use as directed in favorite pie recipe. 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. You will need 12 9-inch pie pans for this recipe (if you don't have that many, you can buy aluminum pans or make the pasties in batches). © Copyright 2020, 20 Things to Cook This Month That Have Nothing to Do With Thanksgiving, 15 Vegan Muffin Recipes for Easy Breakfasts, 15 Comfort Food Dinners That Start With Creamy Alfredo Sauce, 2-Ingredient Snacks That Are Too Easy Not to Make, Use Your Stale Bread in These Savory Bread Puddings, 13 Spiked Apple Cider Cocktails to Celebrate the Season, 15 Comfort Food Casseroles Inspired by World Cuisines, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 15 Ground Beef Soup Recipes for Easy Weeknight Dinners, Ground Turkey Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Weeknight Meals, 11 Top Chicken Casseroles That Lean to the Healthy Side, 12 Classic Italian Recipes Made Easy in the Instant Pot. This dough uses lard and butter to create a flaky pastry crust to surround any filling. Complete with rutabaga! Shape dough into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to relax the dough. If you want to make these more quickly, you can use refrigerated pie crusts instead of the pastry recipe. Deselect All. egg whisked with 2 tablespoons water for egg wash. Cut in butter and lard to form a crumbly mixture. For the pastry: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.Cut the fat into small pieces and distribute evenly over the flour. Allrecipes has more than 10 trusted pasty recipes complete with ratings, reviews and baking tips. You may not need all of the water. It tastes great, stays together, doesn't crumble in your hand, AND makes 10 hand pies. I weigh my ingredients for accuracy and flavor. Fresh ingredients. I am from the UP and this is the real deal! https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/classic-butter-pie-pastry Find ingredients, recipes and classes here: We’re a locally owned market with a purpose: nurturing strong, healthy communities through food. It was originally made for the coal miners and wrapped in butcher paper. Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. Cut butter into cubes and let sit for a couple minutes: Cut the butter into cubes and let it sit on the … That way you could have your dessert with your dinner! The hard pastry shell would keep the juicy contents fresh until the miners were ready to eat. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Divide the dough into 12 pieces, cover the pieces with a dry towel while rolling each piece. Use diced beef instead of pork, if desired. Cooking tip: Pasties freeze nicely. But switching up your side dishes can bring a refreshing change to a classic comfort food dish. Shape each piece into a ball, then roll out the dough 1/8 inch thick and about 6–7 inches in diameter. A pasty is a traditional Cornish hand pie. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/upper-peninsula-pasties Total Calories Per Serving: 230, Total Fat: 14g, Saturated: 7g, Trans Fat: 0g, Sodium: 50mg, Potassium: 41mg, Carbohydrate: 24g, Dietary Fiber: 1g, Protein: 4g. Brush each pasty very lightly with egg wash. Place in the oven and bake at 375°F for 35 – 40 minutes or until golden brown. https://www.daringgourmet.com/authentic-cornish-pasty-recipe A meatless version of a traditional favorite. Roll out half of the dough to about 1/4 inch thickness and then transfer it to a 9-inch pie pan. Cut the fat into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. I love mine served hot, with ketchup for dipping! The Cornish Pasties made with the lard are the best. It makes the crust and the rest of the meat pie taste great. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines.